Eyes on the Jock

An open forum on anything related to flyfishing. One can ask for advice, general information, gear suggestions, techniques, etc. New to Flyfishing or interested in getting into it, this is the place to start.

Eyes on the Jock

Postby Todd B. on Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:23 pm

Well I decided I needed to get out for a wade even if it was only for little more than an hour. As the Jock R. is the closest body of water to me, the Jock was it. Well the new subdivisions are continuing to degrade the river even more so this season. In the first hour I managed only a small fallfish and an and equally small rock bass. This in a stretch where you once could have two dozen rock bass in that same period.

Before I call it an evening I decided to give one of my favorite holes a try to see if any of big fish were still resident. After a couple minutes I had my first of two nice eyes. The first was the bigger of the two, unforturnately I he managed to get off my barbless hook while I was fumbling for the camera. Here's a couple pics of the smaller one.

Todd B.
Site Admin

First Name: Todd
Last Name: Bealor

Re: Eyes on the Jock

Postby dnazarenko on Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:26 am

Nice. How was the water level for wading? I am going to try somewhere close this evening.
dnazarenko

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Nazarenko

Postby Todd B. on Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:20 pm

The water levels for the Jock are pretty good at the moment, thought it's dropping pretty quickly. You'll be looking at the low summer levels pretty soon. I'm thinking of heading down to Hogs Back this evening to give the pool below the falls a try for some more eyes.
Todd B.
Site Admin

First Name: Todd
Last Name: Bealor

Postby dnazarenko on Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:56 pm

Hit the Rideau up by my place tonight. Rock bass, blue gills and the odd fall fish everywhere. There as a hatch of some small dark fly coming off so it was a blast casting dries to them. They would take either on the surface or as the fly started dragging and submerged.
dnazarenko

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Nazarenko

Return to Fly Fishing